Do you want to pursue post graduation after completing MBBS? If yes, then you will appear in entrance exams like NEET PG, JIPMER, PGIMER, AIIMS. With you, there will be at least 1,20,000 students who will also join this race.
One question that is bound to arise in your mind is, “When should I start preparation for NEET PG 2019/2020?” You are getting its answer here.
I am in first year of MBBS. Should I start preparing for NEET PG 2024 right now? Should I join a coaching?
This is an actual question that has been asked on social media.
Answer to this is, no. Do not join any coaching centre right now. During MBBS, your focus should be on understanding basics and building upon them extremely well. There is not much sense in joining any coaching or referring NEET PG preparation book right from year 1 of MBBS.
Should I start preparation for NEET PG 2020 from fourth year of MBBS?
Yes you can. You can now start reading books related to NEET PG 2019 preparation. But understand exactly what you should study and what you need not to. For example, from Harrisons and Robbins, you can read all the tables.
What is the ideal time to start NEET PG 2019/2020 preparation?
Until your fourth year of MBBS, you should ideally study complete MBBS syllabus and get a grasp of concepts. In longer run, and even in PG medical entrance exams, your grasp of concepts will play a critical role.
Then, once your internship starts, you can focus wholeheartedly on NEET PG 2019/2020 preparations. In this, you will get books for NEET PG preparation, solve multiple choice questions, solve sample papers, take mock tests.
You may face a dilemma on whether or not to join a coaching. If you do so, then simply decide by considering how much problem you are facing in understanding concepts. If your concepts are not clear, then join a coaching. Otherwise you can use free material available online or join mock test series only.
So, you can start preparing for NEET PG from fourth year. Or you can focus only on making your basics strong until final year. Then from internship, you can start preparing for NEET PG.
Tips for NEET PG 2019 Preparation
- Once you start preparation, you should set deadlines.
- Study 10-12 hours in a day, even during internship.
- Finish your syllabus by September.
- Revise complete syllabus at least once before AIIMS and PGIMER exams. then revise once more before NEET PG exam.
- When in doubt, refer a standard text book.
Study plan during MBBS, and study plan after MBBS for NEET PG 2019/2020 preparation
For 1st MBBS
- Read standard text books.
- Attend all classes.
- Have curiosity to learn, and enjoy what you learn.
For 2nd MBBS
- Learn clinical things.
- If you want to, you can solve MCQs of topics you have previously studied. Not compulsory.
For 3rd MBBS
Revision and studies
- All that you studied in 1st and 2nd MBBS, keep revising.
- Ensure you devote time to self studies.
Complete text book studies
- You should have a strong grasp of basics by now.
- Your understanding of topics should be good.
- Solve questions.
Preparation for NEET PG
- Study NEET PG 2019 preparation books.
- Refer notes.
- Do chapter wise MCQs.
- Solve sample papers and mock tests.