NEET 2019 is conducted by National Testing Agency as the single medical entrance exam for MBBS/BDS admission in all medical colleges except AIIMS, JIPMER. Exam date of NEET 2019 was announced last month.
However, latest news is that MHRD may roll back changes of holding NEET twice a year in 2019, in online (computer based test) mode. Instead, the ministry may decide to conduct the exam, at least for the year 2019, in offline mode and once a year. Get here complete details of NEET 2019 such as exam date, syllabus, eligibility, exam pattern, application form and other information.
National Eligibility cum Entrance Test Under Graduate, NEET 2019 or NEET UG 2019, is a national level medical entrance exam. Admission to 90,000 MBBS and BDS seats will be offered on basis of it. Check highlights of the exam below.
|Exam Conducting Body||National Testing Agency (NTA)|
|Exam Date||03 Feb 2019 to 17 Feb 2019; 12 May 2019 to 26 May 2019|
|Mode of exam||Computer based test|
|Exam duration||3 hours|
|Exam cities||More than 150|
|Language of exam||English, Hindi, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada, Marathi, Oriya, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu|
|Total number of questions||180|
|Types of questions||MCQs|
|Distribution of questions||Physics – 45
Chemistry – 45
Biology – 90
|Marking scheme||Correct answer – (+)4
Incorrect answer – (-)1
Check important dates of NEET 2019, announced by NTA, in table below.
NEET February 2019 Exam Dates
|NEET February 2019 Exam||Important Dates|
|Availability of NEET 2019 Application Form for February exam||01 Oct 2018|
|Last date to apply online for NEET February 2019 exam||31 Oct 2018|
|NEET 2019 Exam Date for February Exam||03 Feb 2019 to 17 Feb 2019|
|Declaration of result of NEET Feb 2019 exam||First week of March 2019|
Also, May exam dates are out. They are as follows.
NEET May 2019 Exam Dates
|NEET May 2019 Exam||Important Dates|
|Availability of NEET Application Form 2019 for May exam||Second week of March 2019|
|NEET Exam Date 2019 for May Exam||12 May 2019 to 26 May 2019|
|Declaration of result of NEET May 2019 exam||First week of June 2019|
Please note that if MHRD rolls back changes, then exam date of NEET 2019 shall change. All changes in dates will be updated on this page as per official announcement.
NEET 2019 Quick Links
Changes In NEET 2019
As per press release published by the National Testing Agency, the following changes / new rules have been introduced in NEET from the year 2019.
- Mode of exam: Now NEET will be in online (read computer based test) mode. Earlier the exam was held in offline (pen and paper based) format.
- Number of times: NTA is conducting the exam twice a year, first time in February and second time in May. Earlier the exam was held once a year in the month of May only. Candidates can either appear in one of the exams or both exams.
- Use of scores: MCC, state counselling authorities, will use best of two scores obtained in exams held in February and May, for the purpose of MBBS/BDS admission 2019-2020.
Please note that if MHRD rolls back changes introduced, then NEET, at least for the year 2019, will be held in offline (pen and paper based) mode, once a year only. Final decision will come next week. MHRD will give final decision anytime between 13 to 20 August 2018.
By the same token candidates may note the aspects of NEET exam that will remain same as 2018.
Things that will not change in NEET in 2019
- Exam Pattern
- Application Fee
NEET Exam Pattern 2019
It was confirmed by HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar that nothing else will change in the exam. Therefore the exam pattern shall remain same. NEET 2019 exam pattern is given below.
|Name Of Subject||No. Of Questions||Marks|
Candidates may also note the other aspects of exam such as marking scheme, mode, and duration, which are as follows.
- Mode of exam: NTA NEET 2019 will be an online (computer based) test.
- Duration: The exam will be of 3 hours duration. There is no separate time division between each section.
- Marking scheme: Candidates get marks for correct answer, and marks are deducted from overall score for wrong answer, as per following scheme-
- Correct answer: +4
- Incorrect answer: -1
- Unattempted: 0
NEET 2019 Syllabus
There are no changes in the syllabus. MCI has recommended the syllabus after reviewing syllabus prescribed by CBSE, NCERT, CoBSE, and state syllabus. The topic wise syllabus contains biology, chemistry, physics topics taught in class 11th and 12th.
Subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Biology taught at 10+2 level.
Number of chapters: There are 59 chapters in the syllabus of NEET.
Download here: Click here to download complete list of topics that are a part of NEET 2019 syllabus in PDF format.
Since AIIMS and JIPMER usually do not prescribe any syllabus for their MBBS entrance exam, therefore candidates can broadly refer to syllabus of NEET in 2019 to prepare for AIIMS and JIPMER entrance exams also.
NEET 2019 Application Form
Candidates interested and eligible in appearing for NEET UG 2019 must fill and submit application form / registration at nta.ac.in. Only those who apply will get admit card and can appear in exam. Candidates must ensure to submit form with application fee before last date as given in schedule.
NEET 2019 Application Form Date: The date of issuance of NEET application form has been announced for February exam. Candidates can apply from 01 to 31 October 2018. For May exam, application form will be issued after result of NEET February 2019 exam is declared.
Application Fee: General / OBC candidates have to pay Rs 1400 as application fee. Candidates who belong to SC/ST category have to pay Rs 750 as application fee.
NEET 2019 Registration: Candidates can do registration and fill up application form at official website nta.ac.in.
NEET 2019 Application Form Last Date: The last date to apply for NEET February 2019 exam is 31 October 2018. The last date for NEET May 2019 exam is yet to come.
NEET Eligibility Criteria 2019
Candidates must fulfill NEET 2019 eligibility criteria in order to be eligible to appear in the exam. If an ineligible candidate appears in exam, then even if he or she gets result, even then he or she will not be considered for admission. Therefore candidates should check eligibility criteria for NEET 2019 given here.
Age Limit: UR candidates should be between 17 to 25 years old. SC/ST/OBC/PH candidates should be between 17 to 30 years old in order to be eligible.
Lower age limit: Candidates should be 17 years old as on 31 December 2019. Therefore date of birth should be prior to 01 January 2003.
Upper age limit: Maximum age of candidate should be 25 years as on cut off date. However SC, ST, OBC, PH candidates get 5 years age relaxation.
Attempts Limit: There is no limit on the number of attempts for NTA NEET exam.
- Students who will appear in class 12 exams in 2019 can also apply.
- Last 2 years of study should comprise Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Bio-technology (which shall include practical tests in these subjects) and Mathematics or any other elective subject with English at a level not less than the core course for English.
- Candidates who have studied B.Sc with not less than two subjects Physics, Chemistry, Biology / Biotechnology and also passed earlier qualifying exam with Physics, Chemistry, Biology, English.
- Candidates must have passed subjects Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Bio-technology and English individually and also obtained at least 50% marks taken together in Physics, Chemistry and Biology/Bio-technology.
- PH candidates must have at least 45% marks instead 50%. SC/ST/OBC candidates need to have obtained at least 40% marks in above subjects taken together.
NEET Preparation 2019
How to prepare for NEET 2019?
- In order to prepare for the exam, candidates should check the syllabus and exam pattern, which are already on this page. Candidates should study all topics that are in official syllabus. They must not leave out any topic.
- NCERTs are the most recommended books to study theory.
- Also, candidates should practise MCQs from best books.
- In addition, candidates should solve past year papers, sample papers, mock tests to familiarise with exam pattern and understand their preparation level.
Here are some excellent preparation material for the exam.
Best Books For NEET 2019
Study Theory: Candidates should study all chapters from NCERTs at least once. In addition, if they need, they can refer some good books for some topics to get an in-depth understanding.
For questions and in-depth understanding, following are most recommended books for NEET 2019.
- Trueman’s Biology Vol 1 and Vol 2
- Dinesh’s Objective Biology
- Ansari’s Objective Biology
- Pradeep’s Biology
- GR Bathla publications for Biology
- OP Tandon Physical Chemistry
- Modern’s ABC of Chemistry for Classes 11 and 12
- JD Lee Concise Inorganic Chemistry
- Dinesh’s Chemistry Guide
- VK Jaiswal for Inorganic Chemistry
- MS Chauhan for Organic Chemistry
- N Awasthi for Physical Chemistry
- HC Verma’s Concepts of Physics
- DC Pandey’s Objective Physics
- Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick and Walker
- Pradeep’s Fundamental Physics
- Problems in General Physics by IE Irodov
NTA or National Testing Agency is a society with registration under the Indian Societies Registration Act, 1860. It functions as an autonomous and self-sustained premier testing organization. Formed in the year 2017, the body shall now conduct all those exams which CBSE and AICTE used to hold.
Functions of NTA
- To conduct entrance exams which earlier CBSE and AICTE were responsible for.
- It will notify conduct of entrance exams and their features.
- The body will invite and accept application forms in online mode.
- NTA will issue admit card for entrance exams.
- NTA will also conduct exam in mode decided by governing bodies.
- The exam conducting body shall also announce result of entrance exam.
The official website of NTA is nta.ac.in.
If you have any queries on NEET 2019, please ask in comments below.