NEET 2019 Eligibility Criteria – A candidate must have two years of regular and continuous study of Physics, Chemistry, Biology/ Biotechnology, and English to be eligible for NEET 2019. Also should have passed in these subjects individually in 10+2. Candidates can check minimum percentage required in these subjects according to their categories below, as per NEET 2019 Eligibility Criteria. Marks obtained in Mathematics are not to be considered for admission for appearing in the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test or NEET for MBBS / BDS courses. Lower age limit for applying is 17 years and Upper age limit is 25 years. There is a relaxation of 5 years for Schedule Caste (SC), Schedule Tribe (ST), Other Backward Classes (OBC).
NEET is framed under the Indian Medical Council Act-1956 as amended in 2018 and the Dentists Act-1948 as amended in 2018, admissions in 100% seats of MBBS/ BDS will be done through NEET UG 2019 in Medical/ Dental Colleges run with the approval of Medical Council of India/Dental Council of India under the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India except for the institutions established through an Act of Parliament i.e. AIIMS and JIPMER Puducherry.
NEET 2019 Eligibility Criteria
Only eligible candidates should fill NEET 2019 Application Form. For appearing in NEET Undergraduate candidate should have completed 17 years at the time of admission or will complete the age on or before 31st December of the year 2019 for admission to the 1st year MBBS/ BDS Course. The upper age limit for NEET UG is 25 years as on the date of examination with a relaxation of 5 years for the candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC category. For details related to NEET UG age criteria check the schedule below.
|Category||Born on or between|
|General||07 May 1993 and 01 Jan 2002|
|SC/ST/OBC||07 May 1988 and 01 Jan 2002|
Note: Indian Nationals, Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), Overseas Citizen of India (OCIs), Persons with Indian Origin (PIOs) and Foreign National are eligible to appear in NEET UG- 2019.
Eligible candidates who register for exam will get NEET 2019 Admit Card.
Eligibility for seats under the Control of States/ Deemed Universities/ Central
Universities/ Seats of ESIC and AFMC Including BHU and AMU/ Central Pool Quota
- Indian Nationals, Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), Overseas Citizen of India (OCIs), Persons with Indian Origin (PIOs) & Foreign Nationals are eligible for admission in Medical/ Dental Colleges subject to rules and regulations framed by the respective State Governments, Institution and the Government of India.
- Foreign nationals may confirm their eligibility from the concerned Medical/ Dental College/State.
Eligibility for 15% All India Quota Seats
Indian Nationals, Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), Overseas Citizen of India (OCIs), Persons with Indian Origin (PIOs) & Foreign Nationals are eligible for 15% All India Quota Seats.
Candidates from the State of Jammu and Kashmir, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana
- Students from State of Jammu and Kashmir are Not Eligible for 15% all India quota seats as the State of J&K has opted out of All India Scheme since its inception. If they claim eligibility, they must submit online Self Declaration which will be generated and printed automatically along with confirmation page for the record and to present during counseling.
- The online Self Declaration of the candidates will be verified at the time of counseling and if found to be false, the candidature of such candidates shall be canceled and criminal proceedings may be initiated against them.
- Candidates from the State of J&K can appear in NEET-UG for admission to Private Medical/ Dental Colleges or any Private/ Deemed University and Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune subject to the fulfillment of eligibility conditions.
- The Government of Andhra Pradesh & Telangana has informed that they have decided to join and contribute to the All India Quota seats. Accordingly, the candidates of these States have also become eligible for 15% All India Quota seats.
NEET 2019 Educational Qualification
Candidates appearing in qualifying exam for class 12th and are awaiting result can apply and take the said test. He/she are not eligible for admission to the MBBS or BDS if not able to pass the examination they are qualifying with minimum percentage required at the first round of Counselling.
- The last two years of study after a period of 12 years of Higher/ Senior Secondary Examination or the Indian School Certificate Examination should as prescribed by the National Council of Educational Research and Training after introduction of the 10+2+3 educational structure as recommended by the National Committee on Education be comprised of Physics, Chemistry, Biology/ Biotechnology (which shall include practical tests in these subjects) and Mathematics or any other elective subject with English at a level not less than the core course for English.
- It is necessary that 2 years of regular and continuous study of Physics, Chemistry, Biology/ Biotechnology together will be required at 12 standard level for all the candidates. Candidates passed from open schools or private candidates are not eligible to appear. Also, Biology/ Biotechnology as an additional subject at 10+2 level will also not be permissible.
Note: At places where the course content is not as prescribed for 10+2 education structure of the National Committee, the candidates will have to undergo a period of one-year pre-professional training before admission to the Medical Colleges.
Physics, Chemistry, Biology/ Biotechnology and also English is compulsory from an Indian University/Board or other recognized examining body at Intermediate/ Pre-degree Examination in Science.
Pre-professional/ Pre-medical Examination with subjects Physics, Chemistry, Biology/ Biotechnology and English after passing the Higher Secondary Examination or the Pre-University or an equivalent examination. The Pre-professional/ Pre-medical examination must include a practical test in Physics, Chemistry, Biology/ Biotechnology and also English as a compulsory subject.
Passing marks in subjects Physics, Chemistry and Biology/ Biotechnology including practical test in these subjects in the first year of the three years degree course from a recognized University. and has passed the earlier qualifying examination for the same subjects and English at a level not less than a core course.
Passed B.Sc Examination with not less than two of the subjects Physics, Chemistry, Biology (Botany, Zoology)/ Biotechnology also he/she must have passed earlier qualifying examinations with Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English.
Any examination which is having scope and standard (last 02 years of 10+2 study comprising of Physics, Chemistry and Biology/ Biotechnology, including a practical test in these subjects) should be equal to Intermediate Science Examination of an Indian University/ Board including practical test in each subject including English. Candidates who have studied from Foreign/International Board must ensure that the exams they qualified are in line with Code 07.
To be eligible for NEET exam, the candidate must have passed any of the qualifying examinations as mentioned above. If a candidate does not fall within the qualifications prescribed as per Code number 01-07, he/she should furnish complete details to determine eligibility. The Pre-medical course may be conducted either at a Medical College or at a Science College.
Provided candidate must have passed in the subjects of Physics, Chemistry, Biology/ Biotechnology and English individually and must have obtained a minimum percentage marks taken together in Physics, Chemistry and Biology/ Biotechnology at the qualifying examination. In addition, must have come in the merit list of NEET UG 2019 for admission to MBBS/ BDS courses. Candidates can check the minimum percentage required in the schedule below for different categories.
|Category||Minimum Percentage Required|
|Belonging to General/ Unreserved||50%|
|Students Educated Abroad||50%|
|Students with Disabilities||45%|
|Belonging to SC/ST/OBC||40%|
Note: Candidates with benchmark disability must secure minimum marks in the qualifying examination in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (or Botany and Zoology)/ Biotechnology taken together in qualifying exam.
NEET 2019 Eligibility Criteria FAQ
The general queries related to the eligibility criteria of NEET have been answered below:
Q1. I belong to a reserved category and wish to appear for upcoming NEET. What is the minimum qualification that I must possess?
A1. Candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes or Other Backward Classes, the marks obtained by them in Physics, Chemistry and Biology/ Biotechnology taken together in qualifying examination should be 40%.
Q2. Minimum Qualification for physically handicapped students required for appearing in NEET 2019?
A2. Candidates with Benchmark Disabilities under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016, the minimum marks shall be 45% for PH candidates.
Q3. Minimum qualification required for appearing in NEET UG 2019 for Foreign Nationals?
A3. A minimum qualification for appearing in NEET-UG, 2019 for candidates of Foreign Nationals are same as for Indians. The students educated abroad seeking admission into medical colleges in India must have passed in the subjects of Physics, Chemistry, Biology/ Biotechnology and English up to the 12th standard level with 50% marks and their equivalency determined as per regulations of the Medical Council of India and the concerned University
Q4. Who can all appear in NEET-UG, 2019?
A4. The following can appear for NEET-UG 2019:
- Indian Nationals
- Non-Resident Indians (NRIs)
- Overseas Citizen of India (OCIs)
- Persons with Indian Origin (PIOs)
- Foreign Nationals
Q5. How many times can I appear in NEET-UG?
A5. There is no limit on a number of attempts.
NEET 2019 Eligibility Criteria will be officially announced by CBSE. Details given on this page are as per last year’s brochure and only for reference.
Points on eligibility criteria of NEET 2019 such as age limit, attempts limit, continuous study requirement, schooling, have been changing in the past two years.
Hence, to get latest and actual status of NEET 2019 eligibility criteria, candidates are advised to check this page, official website of NEET, CBSE, MCI and other government authorities regularly.
Any changes in NEET 2019 Eligibility Criteria will be updated from time to time. Criteria that will be mentioned in NEET 2019 information brochure shall be considered official.