Lady Hardinge Medical College – To honor the visit of Queen Mary in the year 1911-12, this medical college for women was established to extend various undergraduate and postgraduate level medical courses. Named after the wife of the Viceroy(then), Lady Hardinge was one of the pioneer colleges to initiate young women to pursue medicine, which was considered to be an impossible task back then. Under the guidance and the proper management of Dr. Kate Platt, the first principal of the college, the number of admissions, after the first year of opening had seen a gradual rise in the number of candidates from 16 to 60. Once affiliated to Punjab University, it soon was affiliated to the University of Delhi in the year 1950. Currently, it offers admissions to 142 postgraduate candidates, 4 candidates to Neonatology and 4 candidates to MCH Pediatric Surgery. To know more about Lady Hardinge Medical College, candidates can keep reading this article!
Lady Hardinge Medical College [LHMC], New Delhi
- Established: It was founded in the year 1914, whereas formally opened as a hospital and medical college in the year 1916.
- Type: Affiliated to the University Of Delhi which is funded by the Government of India
- Location: Located in an ideal location in New Delhi i.e Connaught Place.
- Campuses Facilities: It has only one campus currently, located in Connaught Place which offers some basic facilities to its students like hostel, library, sports and extra curriculum activities, auditoriums and laboratories.
Lady Hardinge Medical College Departments
There are basically 4 major organizations under Lady Hardinge Medical College &its associated hospitals which deal with different departments, all together. Those 4 organizations are – LHMC, SSKH, KSCH, College of Nursing and Other Departments. Further, LHMC’s department has been divided into the following branches:
|Lady Hardinge Medical College(LHMC)||Anatomy
|Smt. S.K. Hospital(SSKH)||Anaesthesia
Dental and Oral Surgery
Dermatology and STD (SKIN)
Obst. and Gynae
Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery (ENT)
|Kalawati Saran Children Hospital(KSCH)||ART Center
|College Of Nursing||Bsc Nursing|
Courses Offered At Lady Hardinge Medical College
These are the courses offered by Lady Hardinge Medical College [LHMC], New Delhi to its medical aspirants at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. These seats have further been classified as per the candidates belonging to different categories as per the reservation policy. Candidates can check the course list and the specializations available from below.
|Courses Offered||*Seat Intake|
|MBBS( Duration – 4 and half years+ 1 Year Internship)||200|
|Post Graduate Diploma/MD/MS( Duration – 3 years)
|M.Ch(Paediatric Surgery) (Duration – 3 years)||4|
|MDS (Oral Maxillofacial Surgery)||2|
*may vary year
Reservation Of Seats
The number of seats has been further divided to the candidates belonging to different categories, mentioned below. It may vary across the different academic year.
Seat Distribution For MBBS Course
|Course Name||Delhi Quota Seats(85%)||All India Quota Seats(15%)||Seats Under “Central Pool Scheme”|
||30 Seats||15 Seats|
Other Categories For MBBS Seat Reservation are:
- Students Belonging To States/ Union Territories Having No Medical Colleges
- Wards of Defence Personnel
- Children of BSF/CRPF/SSB/R&AW/SFF/ARC Personnel
- Children of India based staff working in India Mission Abroad
- Children of Tibetan Refugees
- Children of Diplomatics/ Bilateral Commitments
- Children of the civilians affected by Terrorism
- Children of National Bravery Award Recipients
Reservation Policy Followed For Post Graduate Degree/ Diploma Courses
Delhi University Quota(50% of seats) –
- SC – 15%
- ST – 7.5%
- OBC(Non-Creamy Layer) – 27%
Reservation for Candidates with Disabilities – 5% of the seats will be reserved for those candidates having locomotory disabilities be it from any category – General, SC, ST or OBC. To avail of this reservation, a candidate needs to show their proof of disability.
All India Quota(50% of seats) – The allotment of seats will be done by MHRD, Government of India.
Admission Procedure Of Lady Hardinge Medical College
The admissions for both undergraduate and postgraduate level are done on the basis of the norms issued by the University of Delhi. So, one needs to appear and qualify in the medical entrance examination as conducted by the University of Delhi, which is tentatively held in the month of May, whereas for PG medical courses, the entrance examination is conducted in the month of December. Finally, interested eligible candidates can register and appear for the counseling round, along with a list of documents.
For providing admissions to MBBS or MD/MS or any other UG or PG level courses, a candidate necessarily needs to have appeared and have met the minimum cut off marks or rank of NEET UG and NEET PG as specified by this college. Also, Lady Hardinge Medical college specifies some eligibility norms that need to be fulfilled by every candidate wishing to pursue a course from this college:
- For MBBS – A candidate needs to score minimum 50% in average, taking Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in their class 12 level. For SC/ST candidates, minimum of 40% of marks and for OBC candidates, minimum marks of 45% are required to apply for admission purposes to this institute. The minimum age of a candidate should be 17 years as on 31st December of the year of admission.
- For MD/MS – A candidate should necessarily possess an MBBS degree from any recognized Medical College which is affiliated to the University of Delhi and should have completed his or her internship, prior to March 31. And should have secured at least 55% of marks in the entrance exam.
- For M.Ch. (Paediatric Surgery) – Should have passed his or her MS Degree.
Note that, candidates will be asked to submit the 1st year fee via online mode while registering themselves over the college website. The tuition fee breakup for the PG level, medical courses have been given below.
Is there a second round of seat allotment?
After the seats have been allotted to various candidates if any vacancy left, the MCC, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare conducts the second round of counseling to select the next bunch of meritorious candidates. The second time even the seat allotment in done the same way the first time. But as per the MHRD norms, only eligible candidates will be able to appear for the second round of seat allotment.
Eligible Candidate Are:
- Candidates who weren’t allotted any seat in the first round.
- Candidates who were allotted seat but their seat allotment was canceled during the document verification round and whose seat allotment had been done under the reservation policy and whose category has been changed from reserved to unserved or ph status changed from yes to no.
- A candidate who has been allotted and joined a seat at a college but is willing to participate in the second round up graduation.
Not Eligible Candidate Are:
- Candidates who had been allotted a seat but didn’t appear in the stipulated period to freeze the seat under his or her name.
- Candidates who have reported and resigned their seats at the time of counseling round.
- Due to change of category, became ineligible.
- Candidates who had not chosen for upgradation.
Placements @ Lady Hardinge Medical College
As the doctors working with some well-established hospitals do not visit the campus of medical colleges, in search of budding doctors, unlike the engineers. It is what practice what makes a doctor, a good doctor! It offers internship opportunities to all the deserving candidates. As per the reports of 2017, Lady Hardinge College is used to provide a salary of Rs.17,900/- per month. And to grow in this medical field, a candidate needs to necessary pursue MD or MS after having done MBBS or BDS. But Lady Hardinge College being a hospital as well provides its deserving students an opportunity to grow with them and to grasp or enhance their medical knowledge under the expertise of an experienced doctor. Closely observing and learning!
Notable Alumni @ Lady Hardinge Medical College
As an alumnus of a prestigious medical college like that of Lady Hardinge Medical College, a “Hardonian” never leaves an opportunity to its college and the society proud! Here are some of the ladies making it big in their respective fields.
- Hemlata Gupta – A Padma Bhushan Recipient, studied medicine from this college was awarded because of her noble contributions to the medical field.
- Usha Kehar Luthra – An Indian pathologist and cytologist who was awarded Padma Shri for her incredible work in the medical field.
- Sushila Nayyar – An eminent figure in the field of medicine and politics.
- Malvika Sabharwal – A gynecologist who created a history by removing the largest fibroid through laparoscopic surgery.
- Rashid Jahan – An Urdu writer who brought a new era altogether in the Urdu literature in India by her work.
Contact Details –
Lady Hardinge Medical College
C-604, Shaheed Bhagat Singh Road,
Diz Area, Connaught Place, New Delhi,
Official Website: lhmc-hosp.gov.in